ExamTools—Checklist for VEs at Exam Session
- Go to ExamTools.org. Click on ‘Assist with or Manage exams.’ Sign in with your credentials. You will be taken to the session list pane.
- Session owner (VE who scheduled the session) or co-owner click in session pane to open session. In Volunteer Examiners tab enter the VEs who will be working the session. Click +Add VE, enter VE’s call sign in the pop-up pane, click + and save in the next pop-up pane. Add all of the VEs that will be working the session. If Bob, KD8IH, Lon WB4KSG or Ken KN8F are working the session, change their status to ‘co-owner.’
- Check applicants ID and collect fees. Tell the applicants to go to ExamTools.org and sign in to ‘Join an Exam Session’ with team identifier ‘KE4HAM’ and the PIN they received when registering with HamStudy.org.
- As applicants sign in, there will be a red action indicator toward the left of their pane. Click on the red button and authorize the applicant to join the exam session.
- Open the ‘applicants’ tab. Each applicant will appear in a separate pane, with a grey block at the left end if they have not yet joined the session, turning black when they have . Open an applicants pane by clicking I. The pane, or on the ‘^’ on the right side of the pane. Click on the Assign VE button, and assign three VEs to each candidate.
- When the applicant is ready to begin the exam a red action button will appear in their pane. Click on the red button to authorize the applicant starting the exam. The black box on the applicant’s pane will turn blue.
- When the applicant completes the exam a red action bubble will appear in his blue box. Click on the red button to authorize grading the applicants exam. The blue box changes back to black.
- If the applicant chooses to take another exam, a red action button appears. Click the red button and authorize the next exam.
- If the applicant chooses to finish and sign a red action button appears. Click the red button and authorize the applicant signing.
- When the applicant signs a red action button appears. Click on the button for VE’s signature. The red button will indicate the number of signatures still required (?). Three VE signatures are required.
- When signatures are complete, a session co-owner can open the applicant’s pane and click ‘Mark Complete,’ and click on the up arrow at the left of the pane to Mail the applicant’s CSCE.
- When the applicant signs out the pane will turn green if passed, or red if failed.
- If the failed applicant chooses to not retake the exam (?)
- When all applicants have completed the session, co-owner or owner clicks ‘Finish Session’ button.
- Session owner or co-owner clicks ‘Download’ select ‘VEC Archive.’ Two files will be downloaded as one zip file. Unzip to a convenient location.
- Open the ARRL session document upload page, fill in the required fields and specify the two files, one pdf and one JSON. Upload the files and capture the upload confirmation.
- Secure the files and the computer. Print copies of the session manifest and the completed CSCEs and retain.
- Mail (snail mail) a copy of the upload confirmation and a check for the exams fees to:
225 Main Street
Newington, CT 06111-1400